Sunday, September 24, 2006

If He Wasn't Guilty, Would He Be Screaming So Loud?

A Combative Clinton Defends Record on Fighting Terrorism
By Michael Grunwald


Former president Bill Clinton angrily defended his administration's counterterrorism record during a Fox News interview to be aired today, while accusing "President Bush's neocons" and other Republicans of ignoring Osama bin Laden until the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Clinton had planned to discuss his climate change initiative during his appearance on "Fox News Sunday," but he turned combative after host Chris Wallace asked why he hadn't "put bin Laden and al-Qaeda out of business." Clinton shot back that "all the conservative Republicans" who now criticize him for inattention to bin Laden used to criticize him for over-attention to bin Laden.

Clinton said he authorized the CIA to kill bin Laden, and even "contracted with people to kill him." He also said he had a plan to attack Afghanistan, overthrow the Taliban and hunt for bin Laden after the attack on the USS Cole, but the CIA and FBI refused to certify that bin Laden was responsible, and Uzbekistan refused to allow the United States to set up a base. By contrast, Clinton said the Bush administration's neoconservatives "had no meetings on bin Laden for nine months," believing he had been "too obsessed with bin Laden."

"At least I tried," Clinton said. "That's the difference [between] me and some, including all of the right-wingers who are attacking me now. They ridiculed me for trying. They had eight months to try. They did not try. I tried. So I tried and failed. When I failed, I left a comprehensive anti-terror strategy and the best guy in the country, [Richard] Clarke, who got demoted."

Clinton seemed particularly irked by Wallace's reference to his decision in 1993 to pull troops out of Somalia, a move bin Laden later described as a sign of American weakness. Clinton argued that even though many Republicans demanded a withdrawal from Somalia the day after the downing of a Black Hawk helicopter, he kept a U.S. presence there for another six months to ensure an orderly transition to United Nations forces.

That's when the interview got testy, as a Fox transcript reflects:

more...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300928.html?sub=AR

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a partisan Republican and I admit, without shame, that I detest Bill Clinton and his snake of a wife. They are the very worst of the political breed.

But most of you know Byron York from National Review Online -- his assessment of Clinton's record on terrorism is even more damning than mine and he includes a lot of details that I had forgotten.

I include the link to his article at NRO below. After you read it, remember that Bill Clinton was the Democratic follow-up to Jimmy Carter, another well-known "warrior" (he got those big lips from smooching dictator cabooses at every opportunity).

Anyone who wants the Democrats back in power and in charge of national security again has lost touch with all reality.

Bill Clinton's Excuses

5:45 PM  
Blogger nanc said...

i thought his eyes were literally going to pop out of his head! if it were possible, i'm sure they would have. nobody gets that angry unless they're guilty of something sinister. that is fact, my friends. unless of course it's righteous anger and we know he's incapable of righteousness.

6:07 PM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

My Momma used to quote her mother when I was little and tried to talk my way out of my own stupidity, "Thou protesteth too much!" Now that I'm grown up, I understand just what she meant, Clinton is getting bent out of shape because his "legacy" and his presidency are reduced to a stained dress and letting evil men slip through his fingers because he was "too busy" to talk to his CIA head! The Truth hurts, doesn't it you slime?

tmw

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home