Friday, February 02, 2007

Joan Osborne's "One Of Us"

Joan Osborne's "One Of Us"

If God had a name, what would it be?
And would you call it to His face
If you were faced with Him, in all His glory?
What would you ask if you had just one question?

And yeah yeah God is great
Yeah yeah God is good
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us?
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make His way home...

If God had a face, what would it look like?
And would you want to see
If seeing meant that you would have to believe
In things like heaven and in Jesus and the saints and all the prophets?

And yeah yeah God is great
Yeah yeah God is good
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us?
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make His way home...

He's trying to make His way home
Back up to heaven all alone
Nobody calling on the phone
Except for the Pope, maybe, in Rome...

And yeah yeah God is great
Yeah yeah God is good
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us?
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make His way home...

Just trying to make His way home
Like a holy rolling stone
Back up to heaven all alone
Just trying to make His way home
Nobody calling on the phone
Except for the Pope, maybe, in Rome...


This is one of my most favorite songs--and it did help lead me to God. I had never, ever, considered what it would've been like to actually meet Jesus... And it was the most delicious thought to think God might walk on earth--might sneak down here and take a stroll around, a cup of coffee--sometimes, Himself--and what if He really DID? And what if I met Him?

I went to school on the bus to downtown Denver one day and I had a wonderful bus driver. He was an old black man who always had a smile on his face and, in those deliciously un-PC days, people would get on his bus and he'd say "GOOD morning and GodBlessYoutoday! How are you, ma'am (or sir)? Hasn't God made us a beautiful one today? Yes, ma'am! I'm grateful to be alive toDAY!"

I rode with him for years--either to work or college--and I never saw him greet anyone other than with the most outrageous love and humble politeness.

When I first heard Joan's song, it was quite a surprising one--but one that meant a lot to me. I always thought that, if anyone was God-on-earth, He was that bus driver... And that was such a nice thought! Considering it all again, that's how I knew God really exists. ;-)

(P.S. The pic is called "Jesus Laughing"--and I love it, too.) You ever think the person on the end of the phone at the dentist office, or at Jiffy Lube, or standing in front of you at Winn Dixie, could be God? Makes me smile at 'em all! (wink)

10 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Great pic, great song and GREAT story!

God bless you today! :D

9:53 AM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

Thanks, Brookie1 When I first heard it, quite a number of years ago, it was very astounding someone would voice that thought. I sure hadn't ever thought of it before!

And God Bless you, dear every single day!

9:57 AM  
Blogger JINGOIST said...

I've always liked that song too DONAL. One thing always bothered me, the "slob" reference. That sticks in my craw, even though I do like the song.

I understand the "feeling" you get when He taps you on the shoulder. It washes over your whole body doesn't it? I get it sometimes in the morning when I look towards Jerusalem and say the ShMa. Also while saying prayers on the Sabbath.

I'm VERY happy for you DONAL.

Morgan

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, Donal. The moneychangers, however, were the target of Jesus' other emotion.

11:13 AM  
Blogger elmers brother said...

my pastor talked one time about the wedding at Cana and how Jesus must have enjoyed it...hanging out with people he loved etc.

It made Jesus real to me and it made me wonder at His human side.

11:31 AM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

Thank you, Jingo. Yeah, I wish she had chosen another word rather than 'slob, though we all understand that to really mean 'an ordinary person'....

Yes, Arnold, I've always been aware Jesus had his angers, but then Onward Christian Soldiers was my favorite song as a kid, so I am comfortable with the warrior Jesus.

Instead, and I think I've said this before, it was only when my 8th grade art teacher gave me a picture of Jesus laughing that I had a full concept of Him. It was astounding to see that.

Growing up in the 60's I had only seen dour middle-ages prints or pious versions in stained glass.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice pic. i enjoyed it...

12:33 PM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

What is interesting, is that when Peter and John entered the empty tomb, you know how it says that the cloth covering the face was to one side and folded? The word used implied the way a guest of that time would fold a napkin after a dinner party, to say to the host that they enjoyed themselves and wanted to be invited back! That's neat!
And children don't want to hang around someone who is a killjoy!

tmw

12:39 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

I didn't know that, TMW. That IS a neat thought!

12:42 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

Elbro, that's what it is... Until a person can view Jesus laughing, it's too easy to think of him judging us--not enjoying us.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home