Monday, October 29, 2007

OLAMGADOL2: "I Protest Desmond Tutu!"

What I Did--and Will It Matter?

I spent several hours on Saturday outside Boston's Old South Church, protesting Desmond Tutu's pro-Palestinian conference. Tutu used the church's bully pulpit to issue diatribes against Israel, going so far as to tell the Jews that the God of the Hebrews now supports the Palestinians. During the speech, several thousands of anti-war protesters joined with pro-Palestinian groups to spew hatred toward Israel and America. It was very discouraging to watch.

I dashed off a letter to the Boston Globe yesterday, and was NOT surprised to see that the newspaper probably buried it in the obituaries. I will continue to resend it for the next several days. Below is the text of my letter. (Incidentally, I'm in the process of drafting a letter to His Holiness, Pope Benedict, protesting his "prince's" use of the altar to promote hate speech.)

Letter to the Editor (Boston Globe):

Dexter Van Zile’s Oct. 25 op-ed “Hate at the Altar” accurately portrays Desmond Tutu as an archbishop with an agenda. Tutu’s misguided and quixotic quest to wage battle against the windmills of an imagined apartheid has lowered him to unimaginable depths by deliberately altering Scripture to “prove” that the God of the Jews now champions the rights of the Palestinians.

Perhaps Tutu’s advanced age and frailty have caused him some memory loss concerning what the Hebrew Bible actually does say about God’s relationship with the Jewish people. For his benefit, I would like to jog his failing memory:

“Genesis 12:1-3. … And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all the families of the earth be blessed.” May I also remind Mr. Tutu that it is rather unlikely that the God of Hebrew Scripture would have saved the Israelites from the Egyptians only to dash them against the altar of Palestinian savagery, which includes a multitude of atrocities ranging from the killing of Israeli schoolchildren to the murder of Israeli Olympic athletes.

Tutu’s caustic warning to Jews from the bully pulpit of Old South chillingly echoes that of another priest, Charles Coughlin, who in the 1930s also used anti-Semitic sermons to advance his own agenda of “social justice”. The only difference is that Coughlin never attempted to cloak his anti-Semitism in the guise of “human rights”.

Great post, Olam! And how wonderful you actually spent your time going there in person to protest! Good for you! Your alikening him to Coughlin was very apt; well do I remember his screeds of days gone by. It seems they never really went anywhere...

22 Comments:

Blogger FairWitness said...

"...going so far as to tell the Jews that the God of the Hebrews now supports the Palestinians."

Yeah, right, tell us another, Archbishop Tutu. God supports terrorists who strap bomb belts around the waists of their own children, sending them to their deaths as murderers of innocent Israelis.

That is such BS! What the heck is going in the Catholic Church?

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, OG

However you seem to be blinded to ASS's terrible A/S .

I wonder why TUTU and Mandela support the PA .

What did they ever get from Arafat ?

batya

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Batya! You're here, too! And Pat!
(pardon the gushing, I'm new at this)

Tutu's comments seem to be contradictory to the spirit of Christian-Jewish unity that Pope Benedict wishes to espouse, which is why I intend to write to His Holiness directly.

Here is the text of Tutu's speech. As I said before, I suppose even Satan needs his minions and archbishops...

olamgadol

http://www.zoa.org/2007/10/full_transcript.htm

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! This was a brave person to go protest in person!

I hope he or she writes back if the Globe publishes her letter...

8:48 AM  
Blogger FairWitness said...

I'm FairestWit at FPM, Olamgadol2.

This is a great article and I am so proud if you for going to Boston to protest Tutu's speech.

Good for you!

Welcome back Batya! Did Shawn help you fix that darn McAfee program that kept you from posting? I knew he could do it!

8:51 AM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

Olam! My Site Meter registers an address from Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa in the last few minutes. Evidently, some of the home town crowd is reading your words!

8:54 AM  
Blogger FairWitness said...

Isn't that amazing! The Internet connects humanity.

8:56 AM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

I know, I always am amazed at the readers from all over. I've had some this week from Tel Aviv, Amman, Jordan, Dubai, UAE, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Romania--as well as from the more well-known western countries!

9:37 AM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

I distrusted tutu way back when he first emerged as a leader in South Africa. There was always something off to me, about him.
He is not what he appears to be!
And James says that since satan shows himself as an angel of 'light', it is no surprise that his human servants show themselves to be ministers of 'light'!

tmw
Genesis 12:1-3 has not been abrogated...I guess because JEHOVAH ALMIGHTY never needs to change HIS Mind...

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello verityink! I can't believe I've gone from Tutu to South Africa in the span of 48 hours...simply amazing. And to think I was worried that no one would ever read my letter...

There will be more, for certain. Although I was rather discouraged at the rally by Tutu's support for the hundreds of pro-Palestinian demonstrators who attended this "conference", it is extremely heartening to receive all your support here at DU d'RAT!

olamgadol

9:57 AM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

I am always willing to give good writers their due. Though FaceBook and Myspace often post journals in which the kids talk about their personal social situation, I feel more compelled--and at the age of 49!--to spread important messages.

Thank you for yours!

10:59 AM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

You know, TMW, I think you're right. That man never seemed to be what he really was. He's always seemed nothing but evil to me...

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never liked Tutu either, Donal. There was always something about his Marxism that was deeply troubling and a certain... falseness in showing himself.

That makes me want to look underneath and, as he gets older, I think olamgadol2 points us toward what we may see there.....

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

batya, in your comment to olamgadol about his "not seeing someone else's anti-semitism".... i post in many magazine comment sections.. a bit addicted to it, i guess... and i sometimes see anti-semitism.


often, the best way to deal with it is not an open confrontation. i think olamgadol's article here has certainly struck an effective blow against it. and, by not making an adversary of the offending poster, maybe they will come here and get the larger message.


there's more than one way to skinn a cat, as they say!

11:46 AM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

olamgadol-Writing to Benedict won't make a wit's difference! tutu is Anglican(think episcopalian!)not roman catholic. Benedict has no authority over him.
Now the archbishop of Canterbury might, but turu has been going his own way for decades. He is wedded to communism(as was mandela)so there may be no relief there either!
The anglicans are autonomous, and though the archbishop of Canterbury has some moral authority, don't bet on making a dent there either!
The archbishop of Nigeria might be of some assistance(at least he is conservative), but don't bet on tutu paying any attention to him either!
tutu has been forging his own way to the swamp, he listens to witchdoctors and politicians before G*D...I don't think he would recognize G*D's Voice anymore!

tmw

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Merry Widow - thank you for informing me that Tutu is Anglican! Certainly, then, this is not a matter to bring up to the Vatican. On the other hand, I'm relieved that the Vatican has not given this man its stamp of approval. I haven't any faith that Anglicans and Episcopalians will see reason and abandon their anti-Zionist views.

olamgadol

12:51 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

Thanks, TMW! (She's one of my site experts!) I had forgotten that he was Anglican--and you're right the ArchB of Cant.isn't gonna be any help...

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tutue has always been a shill fro the African National Congress which were really communists. He's about as holy as the Devil himself. J'Mac.

4:00 PM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

og2-It is a shame that the anglican/episcopal church went off the deep end! I was raised episcopalian, but I left it 20 yrs. ago. The African bishops and archbishops, for the most part, are VERY conservative and cleave to the Bible. tutu is an exception.
A lot of conservative episcopal congregations have asked the archbishop of Nigeria for covering, which he has done!
tutu is a disgrace and an example of politicized religion, and he may very well go to Hell because of it!

tmw
Donal-Everyone of us has information unique to them and their experiences, we need each other!

4:48 PM  
Blogger CHOMP said...

Olam, I am usually a late-in-the-evening poster, but here I am to wish you good success with your writings.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Olam! Good for you and this was such a well-written article.

Morgan

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Find out more about the Israel-Palestine situation instead of being blinded by what the media tells you. By displacing people from their land - that is unjust. I support Desmond Tutu completely.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home