Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Candidate Apologizes After "Injun" Remark

Candidate Apologizes After "Injun" Remark

GREEN BAY (AP) - Democratic U.S. House candidate Steve Kagen apologized Monday for commenting that he was late for a meeting on an Indian reservation because "we're on Injun time."


"I did not mean any harm by my words, and I humbly apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my intent," he said in a statement hours after the National Republican Congressional Committee released a tape recording of the comment.

Kagen attended a meeting Friday on the nearby Oneida Reservation, and at his next stop in Green Bay he made the following remarks:

"Appreciate getting here almost on time. Our excuse in Oneida was, well, we're on Injun time. They don't tell time by the clock. Our excuse here is that I am a doctor and that we're never on time."

http://www.madison.com/tct/news/index.php?ntid=104449&ntpid=2