Monday, December 04, 2006

He Hit A Nerve

The 1st Amendment Is Not A Suicide Pact: Blocking the Speech That Calls For Our Death

I must have hit a nerve.


In New Hampshire last week, at a dinner hosted by the Loeb School honoring our 1st-Amendment rights, I called for a serious debate about the 1st Amendment and how terrorists are abusing our rights -- using them as they once used passenger jets -- to threaten and kill Americans.

Here's part of what I said: "Either before we lose a city, or, if we are truly stupid, after we lose a city, we will adopt rules of engagement that use every technology we can find to break up terrorists' capacity to use the Internet, to break up their capacity to use free speech protections and to go after people who want to kill us -- to stop them from recruiting people before they get to reach out and convince young people to destroy their lives while destroying us."

http://www.humanevents.com/winningthefuture.php?id=18314

I'm so glad they featured this article again; the title phrase is exactly what I was thinking about today as I thought of the 6 Imams--and the Ellison flap.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly! There's such a thing as too much political correctness. It'll sink us for sure.

2:04 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

Yes, I thought the suicide pact analogy was very apt.

2:25 PM  
Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

great post hun..come read my latest on this topic!!:)

2:26 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

I shore will!

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home