Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Two Friends' Testimonials

On the Passing Of Rev. Falwell:

At one time in my life, over twenty years ago I, too, was like these DU'ers. I hated Jerry Falwell. I hated him because, as the drunken/drug addled raving lib I was, he represented ''repression''. I was helped along in this by the leftist, ex-hippie/radical woman I was living with-- somewhat older than myself--who was exposing me to it for the first time.

It was heady and ''liberating'' to revile a ''reactionary religious bigot flunkie of the ruling class''. Yes sir, my old girlfriend had all that leftie lingo down. A bona fide card-carrying, anti-Vietnam war marching, bra-burner--she didn't even shave her armpits leftie that she was. And for me, raised by two strict Catholics, it was a soul-relieving exercise to rail at Rev. Falwell and his Moral Majority.

What right did he have to be ''judgemental'' and force his religion and views on other people? Only we enlightened libs and lefties could do that. And how I loved to be so self-righteous--libs love self-righteousness--(but self-righteousness is just a phony form of respectabilty) and crow about how he was ''raking in the dough'' while talking about God and Jesus to a bunch of ''toothless hillbillies and suckers''.

I realize now, and I probably had an inkling then, that what I feared most was not the man but what he represented. Goodness, right and wrong, morality, protection of the unborn and, most of all, that which I didn't have at the time and had also abandoned: the love of the Lord Jesus and the knowledge that Jesus truly did love ME. The knowledge that I was a creation of God, not the State, that I was above the creatures of the Earth because He had made me that way. That, rather than be a creature of the Earth--a base and self-indulgent hedonist and fornicator--I should honor myself and try, as much as I could to ask His will for me, to live usefully and walk humbly under the grace of God.

Only some twenty years later, having been relieved of the obsession to destroy myself, and having asked for and found the woman He meant for me to love and be loved by, I have come to understand and admire and respect the Reverend Jerry Falwell. I know he did pray for, and still will in Heaven, for those who hated him. "Pray for your enemies, do good works unto to them. For does He not maketh the rain to fall on the wicked and on the just as well''? God Bless Reverend Jerry Falwell and may He comfort his surviving loved ones.

What He Meant To Me:

I remember hating Jerry Falwell. In the 80's, when I was a teenager, I was a liberal, raised with those liberal values. We were patriots in our family, but we chafed at religious types like Jerry Falwell who had a bible-based value system. I was once proud to pipe up and claim that I was a "secular humanist."

I was one of those idiot kids who loved to poke fun at Rev. Falwell and the "Immoral Minority." This gave me cart blanche to be promiscuous and do drugs. My parents told me not to smoke pot, but Jerry Falwell made me the maddest because I always viewed him as being too judgemental. That's what I really hated about him, he publically called for a return to traditional values and I knew I was an old-fashioned sinner!

His bold conservative vision was a terrible thorn in the side to snot-nosed young people like myself back then, so I understand the mind set of the vicious pig posters at DU, but NOT the behavior. No matter how you feel about someone like the good Reverend, you should NEVER say those things!

Jerry Falwell was a fine man of the Lord G-d and a tremendous patriot. The foul little pigs at DU who insult him in such a manner diminish themselves with their disgusting little insults. Shame on you! Go with G-d Jerry!

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnny that was a BEAUTIFUL post! I was an idiot hedonist "back in the day" too. Now I'm ashamed of much of what I did when I hated Falwell. I know how you feel.

Morgan

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnnymac have you ever thought about writing a book? You where your heart on your sleeve when you write, and that's moving! Thanks for these testimonials. The world will miss Jerry Falwell.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Radiant Times said...

Falwell did more for this country by standing up for what he believed in and raising a high standard for others to follow. I did not agree with everything he said publicly, but I respect him for the influence he had and how he just wanted people to know the Lord.

Thanks,
Radiant Times
http://radiantsong.blogspot.com/index.html

6:00 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

Thank you, Radiant Times, how kind of you!

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Morgan,so was yours. Don't ruminate over the past Morgan, whats done is done. It's the people we are now that matters. Hey sorry I haven't called in a while. I'll be home this week-end, I'll call. J'Mac

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Falwell said that Muhammad was a terrorist.

He was and he left behind a legacy of terror and cruelty and rivers of blood .

Our Pc dummies -dhimmis made mincemeat out of him and forced him to renonce his own words as not true.

He did because the pressure was beyond words- it went into real of physical THREATS.

So an honset man who spoke the truth was yet one nore victim of this horrible death cult coupled with the Left who stands guard on the Muslims ' rights but not on our right of free speech.

Worse , not on our right to speak the truth.

Falwell spoke the truth and it went with him to where he went.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear 'anonymous'', a very humble thank you for your post. I'm flattered. A book? I dunno, I procrastinate too much. I was going to join a support group for it but I keep puttting it off....Thank you though, it's certainly an idea. Johnnymac.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to sign -

batya

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And a very good evening to YOU,Verityink,Mrs.D, Yofi,Donal, all one and the same bestest, nicest, smartest and lovliest blogger out there! Thanks kiddo. J'Mac

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks batya, you're a love! J"Mac.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OT BUT: Duncan Hunter is officially my favorite candidate now. He said that he would instruct the Sec Def to "get the information, no matter what it took!?

The question was, "what sort of interrogation would you allow to stop an imminent terrorist threat"?

Rudy and Mitt also gave good answers. Ron Paul has appeared cartoonish. Except where taxes are concerned.

Morgan

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morgan, what did any of them say about illegal immigration? J'Mac

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost forgot--Happy Birthday Israel,59 years young. God Bless Israel. No one else will. J'Mac.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnny there were no surprises on immigration. Rudy MAY have sounded a little tougher on illegals than before. McCain waffled the issue as always and Ron Paul is dead meat! Did you see it? This was by far the most professional debate I've ever seen.

Morgan

7:55 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

MORGAN--Thanks for the update--I get too nervous to watch such things. In any case, I'm waiting for Fred to get in the race...

8:34 PM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

Nanc put up a very nice tribute to Mr. Falwell at my blog. I also did not agree with everything he said(how can I, he was a human being), but he was a staunch friend of Israel, was concerned about the fate of men's souls believed the Bible meant what it said, and died with his boots on!
He finished strong!
G*D bless and keep his family!

tmw

3:55 AM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

TMW--Thanks, I'll try and take a look; I have a doc appoint today (just making sure lungs are nice and clear!)

5:43 AM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

May they be clear as a bell, and ringing in good tone!

tmw

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, JM, I thought it was very professionally done, too.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tributes, Morgan and J'mac! You guys can really write! That just goes to show that, no matter what else he did or didn't do, Falwell DID has a positive impact.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful work, J'Mac and MOrgan.......even better is your wonderful thinking.

Thank God for guys like you.

Falwell wholeheartedly in what he believed and he wanted what he had for everyone. Who can fault him?

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home