Saturday, May 12, 2007

What Iraq and History Teach Us

What Iraq and History Teach Us
By Barry Farber

He was probably the most honest of the old men hanging out in rocking chairs around the stove in the rear of the general store in rural North Carolina.


He yawned, looked at his watch, and then declared, "Well, it's 7:30. I'm going on home and if dinner ain't ready I'm gonna raise hell and if it is, I ain't gonna eat it!"

That's the way I feel the majority of you are treating me and my kind. I am a neocon.
I favored the invasion of Iraq. I thought it would all be a cakewalk.

I thought the Iraqi masses would welcome us as liberators and we could finance the whole deal with liberated Iraqi oil. And I'm one neocon who won't melt away like some wicked witch when you point out how differently things seem to have worked out.

The most unchallenged cliche in world affairs is the oft-repeated warning by George Santayana that "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Sure, I thought Saddam Hussein had WMD, but that was far from my main reason for favoring his overthrow. Look at the past, the way Santayana and everybody else insists we should.

more...


The pic is that of Jorge (George) Augustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dimocrats care nothing about the people of Iraq.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

teller, you're right...no more than they cared about the people of Vietnam or Korea.

Verity...this really is an excellent piece, thanks for posting it. I sent it to a conservative friend who's finally letting the constant barrage of negativity from the media get to him re: this war. This makes a lot of sense, too bad sense doesn't come into play with the Left, huh?

Apparently, nothing's worth fighting for anymore to our leftists.......nobody's worth helping unless they're AIDS victims in Africa or illegals living off of us. WHat's the difference? POLITICS

9:22 AM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

ZinLA--Thank you, I thought it was particularly good, too!

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Z - You're right; this piece was dynomite! I've always loved Santayana.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting. It had not occured to me to look at the surprises in history.

Santayana was right, though; that's why 9/11 was so successful. It had never happened before.

Seems like 'warfare through surprise' might be a good strategy.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home