Sunday, July 08, 2007

Mr. Warmth... Blowin' In the Wind Again...

Live Earth Non-Update
By Mark Steyn

I don't know about the rest of the gang but I was kinda looking forward to spending the weekend doing cracks about rock stars taking their private jets halfway round the world to tell the little people why they need to sell the second-hand Honda Civic and get back on the bus.

But to be honest my heart's not in berating the rock colossi for their carbon footprints of clay. The way this thing's going it looks like, thanks to Al Gore, all-star charity galas will be joining the polar bears on his endangered species list.

I want to bequeath the wonders of this earth to the next generation, but I worry that my grandchildren will never know the feeling that you've totally demonstrated your tremendous concern and commitment to taking action just by going to a concert and staying until halfway through the George Michael set when he started doing stuff from the new album.

I worry that my grandchildren will never know the thrill of being hectored by Bono and Bob Geldof, and that many already rare species will simply vanish from the earth - Seventies supergroups who've not yet had a long-awaited charity-gala reunion, hot young acts who haven't had the chance to cover "Imagine" with the lights down and everybody in the stadium holding disposable lighters, Eighties girl groups who've not yet reunited for a Playboy shoot, the last three celebrities who haven't duetted with Elton John, bald-headed Eagles doing the 50th anniversary performance of "Hotel California"...

On the other hand, if Cat Stevens goes down well, Jihad Aid might have legs...

http://corner.nationalreview.com/

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. "Blowing-Smoke-in-the-Wind"...He has me hypnotised. My head is swaying back and forth. I feel sleepy.

I had a nice nap. Did I miss anything?

8:46 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

Nosiree!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home