Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A J'MAC Attack!

The Hyphen

I'm tired of hearing people identify themselves as something else first and an American when its convenient. One is either an American or an Irishmen, a Mexican, a Muslim or whatever, one can't be both.

My people left Ireland over a hundred years ago and I'm damn glad they caught the boat. Proud as I am of where they came from, they left the old country for a reason. They left because--to a lot of immigrants--living in the old country was like living in a burning house in the middle of the night.

They came here to be Americans. Ireland means nothing to me; I'm an American, this is my home. My ancestors, as well as the children of countless other immigrants who became Americans, fought for the right and the privilege to be called American.

9 Comments:

Blogger prairiemain said...

Amen, J'Mac. I've been saying the same thing for years now.

It is fine to pay homage to one's heritage but how many Cuban-Americans want to return to Cuba? When's the last time there was a massive exodus of African-Americans back to Africa?

Will the future moon colonists call themselves "Irish-Lunes" or such?

This is all more of the same moral relativism that has taken over the "intellectual elite", most of whom have been educated beyond their native ability to handle.

5:22 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

Yes, black folks that want to be called 'African-Americans' crack me up; most of the minorities I tutored in college couldn't find Canada on a map....

5:25 PM  
Blogger JINGOIST said...

Tell it like it is JM! G-d bless you pal! My ancestors, grandparents and great grandparents all came from Germany, Ireland, Sweden, Russia, and most of them were Jews. If you were to ask me or anyone in my extended family what our nationality is, every one of us wouldn't hesitate to say AMERICAN!


Morgan

5:51 PM  
Blogger nanc said...

well, i'm dayamed glad also! the irish in my family came and bred with the oglala - hence me. i thank G-d everyday for the irish!

7:04 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

I'm an Irisher meself--county Cork!

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The real racists in America are...THE HYPHENATED ONES.


Imp

9:22 PM  
Blogger JINGOIST said...

Good to see ya Impster!


Morgan

4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its important to remember that while the ''nation of immigrants'' thing is historically correct,its more to the point to say we are the ''descendants of immigrants'' and more importantly,a nation of laws.J'Mac.Thanks for the feedback folks.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! mutual funds Nashville accutane attorney 2 fast 2 furious mitsubishi spyder Withdrawal+from+zoloft Used commercial hotal ice machine Surveillance wireless phoenix florida nokomis accutane advice the prince of tennis cartoons fitness shoes women red planet paintballing How to make slot machines powder coat wheels European pills yasmin can i take minocin with accutane Head genesis 660 tennis racquet Overnight venlafaxine accutane paypal manx flights california san jose accutane ad hoc law resource

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home