Monday, February 05, 2007

Johnny's Wonderful Treatise On Addiction:

Addiction

Yes, you can't ''cure the soul by means of the senses''--contrary to popular opinion and medical science: alcohol has no medical value, but that's ok, it wasn't meant to. And, certainly, to the young developing mind and body, alcohol and it's cousins, the narcotics/psychedelics/opiates stunt a young mind to almost irrideemability. Little wonder, since drugs are a commodity produced and controlled by criminals; it's so readily available to kids--lets face it--drug dealers don't ask for I.D.

Drugs are a problem that involve money, law, and societal mores. Coldly put in the first, when you have a problem involving money, when you get control of the money; you get control of the problem. On the part of the law, America's longest war, still being fought, is the drug war, almost 90 years-long now, and it should be incumbent on a government or certainly, a nation, to ask, "Is there an end in sight (victory), and if so, when, and if not, why not?''

And then, there is society--which says ''drugs are bad''. True enough. But had my particular demon had been unavailable to me by law, I would have moved heaven and earth to get it--and if you got in my way--I'd have moved you, too. Addiction is truly a horrible physical, emotional, and spiritual sickness--not just for the addict--but for whomever is along on the slowly, but steadily, sinking ship that is the addictive experience (I can't say life, because it isn't.) Whatever passes for normalcy is just down time between insanity because the addict will always reach for the human hand, never the spiritual one--until his protectors either flee him or die, leaving him once again alone.

Addiction is somewhat conditional, more of it, most of it really, is biological. We're complex little things, we humans are, with these complex brains of ours and when we expose them too much--and too often--to the things we have learned to ferment or create in the mortar and pestle of pharmacology, ''complex'' things happen (addiction, criminality) that our society rejects, and rightly so. However, there is certainly nothing wrong with deriving responsibly the pleasures this fermentation and certain pharmacology provides, and a great segment of the population can do this--to what extent they may--without a problem and certainly, within the reason and the current law, they have the right to do so. Why should they be made to feel guilty or responsible for it?

I got myself sick all on my own, I didn't need anyone's help. At one time, I couldn't control myself--who was I to tell some one else? Education about the nature of addiction is important because resistance to addiction is a lot like resistance to evil; society might not be able or willing to resist evil, but you can certainly resist it in yourself.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh John

I feel so priviledged to have you share with me a piece of your heart , the heart that suffered so and yet healed itself.

I suffered form one addiction that nearly killed me and it was smoking.When I finally could barely breathe I quit.Four times .At the end- I quit and now I am addicted to music and art and some people I love and to fight evil ...

There are some fine addictions in thid world , for sure.

You are a man of courage ,JM.
I like that .
I admire that.

batya

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you batya,but it isn't so much courage as learning to stop playing in the traffic,if you know what I mean:-) J'Mac.

7:18 PM  
Blogger JINGOIST said...

batya Johhny is a hell of a guy and a friend I talk to quite often. I've always prided myself in being well read on History, but after talking to him I felt like a child! He's a great guy with one serious weakness, alcohol. He's Irish, what can he do? LOL! BTW I agree with you, nicotine is the ONLY thing I've ever been addicted to. I quite maybe 10 times before trying the gum, and it worked. So now I have 7 years with no cigarettes. As long as I have 5 cigars a day I never crave a Marlboro. JUST KIDDING!

You're a hell of a man Johnny, staying off the hootch will save your life.

Morgan

7:20 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

And you guys are all so wonderful please, please, please do what you have to do to save your lives.

Do you wonder why I love you? I don't.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morgan
I know that JM is a great guy and a fabulous friend.

When you were away from FPM he knew that I missed you and kept telling you that...

He is a MENCSH.

Nothing phoney about him .I am comfortable with poeple like that.

It is nice to have a chance to say a few kind words to a person you like .I will always use these precious opportunities.

As for not smoking - It is 20 years for me now.YEEPEE.

batya

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morgan,happily the last 17 years have been ''hootch free''. J'Mac.(but boy am I thirsty!) Just kidding!

7:40 PM  
Blogger JINGOIST said...

Good for you man, you know what the alternative is.

Morgan

7:45 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

I love Morgan--and Johnny--and you Batya... (wink)

7:53 PM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

resistance to addiction is a lot like resistance to evil; society might not be able or willing to resist evil, but you can certainly resist it in yourself.

Wise words!

Rational Recovery speaks of turning down and learning to disregard the voices of the reptilian brain. RR works for many who can't find success with a 12-step program.

3:49 AM  
Blogger elmers brother said...

I'm and ex smoker I quit in 2/2002 after 26 years....I know how difficult it can be

11:06 AM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

My dad died of emphysema... It was only after 50/60 years of smoking, when he finally could no longer breath (heartbreaking), that he finally could quit, had to quit. I think it's one of the hardest battles ever. His dad, my grandfather--the most beautiful man in my world--died of the same thing.

God, in his infinite mercy gave me a very slight case of asthma when I was 20 years old. I had similarly been affected since I was a child, thus, smoking was always something untenable. It saved me.

Considering what eventually would be my dad's demise (and his dad's), I believe we carry the gene for a type of genetic tendency towards emphysema. Smoking would have been the end of me--as it was for them.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home