Thursday, May 17, 2007

THIS Is Iran:

Visitor Whipped For Drinking Two Beers In Iran
Aftenposten: Randi Johannessen

Norwegian-Iranian Mamand Mamandy had a brutal meeting with police after drinking two beers while on holiday in Iran.

"It's getting better now, but I am still in great pain," Mamandy, 35, told Aftenposten.no. "My brother is a doctor, and treated me after the whipping. I was in great pain and could not sleep."

Mamandy, a Kurd, explained that he was visiting his mother in Baneh, Iran in April when he was arrested by police.
"We were on an outing with family and friends, six or seven in the evening, and were having a barbecue and enjoying ourselves. Altogether I drank two beers. The police happened to drive by," Mamandy said.

He said that he was immediately arrested and taken to the police station where he was sentenced to 130 lashes. This sentence, for beer drinking, was carried out publicly according to news agency Iran Focus.

"I received 130 lashes on the back of my body. Police whipped me," Mamandy said. He came to Norway as an asylum seeker in 1999. He lives in Drammen with his wife and they are awaiting Norwegian citizenship.

Mamandy traveled home to Norway shortly after his punishment and has been since treated by his family doctor here.

Aftenposten.no has been in contact with the Foreign Ministry, who said that they had not been contacted by Mamandy or his family in connection with the matter.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

There's that beautiful religion of peace at work again...

I suppose the MSM would have us believe the entire police force was a group of extremists that "hijacked" Islam, huh?

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phandancer

I would hate to think of the punishment for my Jim Beam!

Of course, I let my wife out of the house wearing shorts. I am such an infidel.

2:09 PM  
Blogger FLORIAN said...

Nice religion of peace! Donal there are much more important issues at play here than some towel-head getting beaten for a few cold ones. We have a CORRUPT SENATE that wants to grant amnesty to some 20 million illegal alien criminals. Once that gets passed we are finished. This is worse than twenty 9/11's.

5:12 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

I agree, Flo, the amnesty deal is absolutely ridiculous, but both things are important; this was not some 'towel head'--this was a Norwegian citizen, I believe.

5:34 PM  
Blogger FLORIAN said...

He was actually an Iranian living in Norway and seeking asylum.

6:33 PM  
Blogger VerityINK said...

I stand corrected; I bet he really wants asylum now...!

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and I both Phanny!

Morgan

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home